Wander through the historic centre of Sanlúcar in search of the most beautiful homes with this Merchants' Manor Houses Tour. You'll discover the luxury and opulence of those travelling to the New World.
Merchants' Manor Houses Tour
The tour will start at 11 am next to Santiago Castle, located in front of Barbadillo Bodegas. We'll sample their most important product by tasting a glass of Manzanilla, a perfect start to this route.
During the two-hour guided tour, we'll walk through Sanlúcar's historic centre following the trail of the Merchants' Manor Houses. Trade with the New World during the 17th and 18th centuries led to the construction of these refined homes, they're so extravagant that they often look like palaces. First, we'll visit Francisco Gil de Ledesma's House, a wine-cellar that belonged to the Honorary Mayor of the city.
The tour will continue to the Gómez Barreda House. Its baroque façade, one of the most beautiful in its street, will show us the power that this family achieved. We'll then arrive at the Santo Domingo Convent, where numerous religious people lived there while they waited for their ship to sail. We'll stop shortly after in front of the Casa de Ceballos, another magnificent example of 18th-century architecture.
We'll learn more about how the trade worked and how the merchants became so rich, next to the old Sanluqueña branch of the Casa de la Contratación. Its administration controlled all product transactions between the New and the Old World. Although its headquarters were in Seville, the Sanlúcar "subsidiary" had a great deal of official activity.
The tour will end at 1 pm in the Plaza del Cabildo, one of the most famous tapas areas located in the heart of Sanlúcar.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 19 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
|Adults||Children under 11 years old|
Children under 11 years oldFree
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english, although it may occasionally be done in two languages.
English speaking guide.
A glass of Manzanilla tasting in a traditional bodega.
When to book?
You can book up until 36 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
Yes, imperative to point out when the booking is made.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
Santiago Castle square