Explore El Puerto de Santa María, the city where Christopher Columbus' first expedition to the Americas set sail from and discover the houses where the merchants lived.
Merchants History Tour
We'll meet at 11 am in the Plaza de Alfonso X El Sabio square and set off on our tour of El Puerto de Santa María in the 17th and 18th century. Are you ready to travel back in time?
"Los cargadores a Indias", the merchants of the Americas, turned this city of Cadiz into one of the most important ports of export in the world. We'll find out all about this historic period as we visit the Castle of San Marcos, built on the site of an old Arab mosque, and the Palacio de Anaríbar, the home of one of the merchants.
We'll find out why El Puerto de Santa Maria is called the "city of a hundred palaces" as we stroll through the centre. We'll pass through the old customs house and head to the Iglesia Mayor Prioral church, where we'll find out about the Dukes of Medinaceli.
We'll also hear the stories of famous merchants such as Carvajal-Medrano, the Marquise of Candia and Admiral Valdivieso. In addition, the tour will take us to the Casa de los Leones, the House of Lions, and we'll find out why it's so significant.
The activity will end there at 1 pm.
All of our providers comply with local legislation and applicable health recommendations regarding protection and safety, to help avoid the spread of Covid-19. Specifically, the provider of this tour will apply the following measures:
- Tours or activities will not consist of more than 19 people per group.
- A safe distance of one metre between clients will be maintained whenever possible.
- The use of masks is obligatory. The client must bring their own mask.
- All those running the service (guide, driver etc...) will wear a mask throughout its duration.
- Handing out of printed material such as maps or brochures will be avoided.
- The temperature and wellness of all those taking part in the service will be monitored daily, excluding and maintaining in quarantine any who display fever or symptoms.
- At monuments, museums and attractions, the maximum permitted capacity will be a 50% of the total maximum capacity.
- Showing your voucher on your phone will be enough, and it is not necessary to print anything.
- Alcoholic drinks are not available.
|Adults||Children between 5 and 11 years old||Children under 5|
Children between 5 and 11 years oldFree
Children under 5not permitted
The activity takes place with a guide that speaks in english, although it may occasionally be done in two languages.
English speaking guide.
When to book?
You can book up until 24 hours before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Show the voucher on your phone to take part in the activity.
No, not advisable for people with reduced mobility.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
Q - Is a minimum number of participants required?
A - This activity requires a minimum of 2 participants. Should this number not be reached, we'll get in touch with you to offer alternatives.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
Tourist Office, Plaza de Alfonso X El Sabio.